Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cheesy Chicken and Corn Chowder

Chowder is a favorite here in New England. Most Chowder (or as we say in Boston, "chowdah") here in New England is either clam or seafood chowder, but since I'm allergic to shellfish I had to find something that worked for me. I've always been a big fan of soups, and I tend to like them a little on the thicker side so chowder just floats my boat.

I came up with this recipe after having a thick and creamy bowl of corn chowder at Panera Bread one day. I looked up all sorts of recipes, but nothing really sounded healthy to me so I decided to just wing it. This recipe is one of our favorites, even the kids love it!

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Chicken Broth
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 2 Cups Diced Red Potatoes (skin on)
  • 4 Ears Corn on the Cob, cut off of the cob (or if out of season, a 16oz bag of frozen corn)
  • 2 Cups Skim or 1% milk
  • 2 Cups Diced Cooked Chicken Breast (I like to use leftovers from a whole chicken for this recipe)
  • 2 Cups of Low Fat or Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 4 Slices Cooked Turkey Bacon, crumbled

Directions:
In a large stock pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add chicken, potatoes, corn, and garlic. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes have softened. Reduce heat and add milk, chicken, and cheese being careful not to boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once chicken has cooked through, remove from heat. Scoop into bowls and add turkey bacon to the top for garnish.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails