Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Breakfast Cookies

I've seen quite a few recipes for breakfast cookies now and I've been dying to try them. This time around I decided to try a modified version of an Ellie Krieger recipe. These cookies are big, moist, and almost cake-like. I thought they were delicious, and just one cookie was enough to keep me feeling full until lunch time! I changed a few of the ingredients due to what I had in my cabinet and also because of my husbands allergy to tree nuts.

Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 egg)
  • 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup bran cereal flakes
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup chopped peanuts (unsalted)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Combine butter, oil and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high speed, scraping down sides if necessary, until sugars have dissolved and mixture is light in color, about 1 minute. Add egg, pumpkin and vanilla and beat an additional 30 seconds.

Add flour mixture and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add oats, flakes, raisins and peanuts and mix over low speed just until incorporated. Dough will be slightly sticky and less cohesive than traditional cookie dough.

Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using between 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter, form a ball and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining batter, leaving about 3 inches between cookies. Wet hands and use palm of hand to flatten cookies until about 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 12 minutes, until cookies are fragrant but still soft. Let cookies cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

Holly T. said...

Oooh, yummy! These sound delicious. I think if I leave the peanuts out my kids will love these (and will love the thought of having cookies for breakfast!) Thanks for the great recipe!

Chicagolandia said...

I just love using pumpkin as an ingredient in cookies - makes the buttery tasting and super yummy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails